I'm so sorry that I hadn't gotten this posted already, being sick has made me behind on everything. This is me trying to begin to catch up if I can.
While I know that most of us are old hands at these things, I also know that we have friends who will be having their very first Holiday season here in DW and LJ land. Especially with the new friends we've aquired due to all the Tumblr madness. Because of that, I didn't want to just assume that everyone knows how wish list works. So, here you go guys, a simple little primer, or refresher, on the mysteries of Wish List
. Hope it helps:Wish List Guidelines:Step One
- Make a post (public, friendslocked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Sam/Dean icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
- If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.
- Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ, or link to this post (it'll be public) so that the holiday joy will spread.
- Don't forget to post your Wish Lists over at either the LJ Wish List
or the DW Wish List
comms as well as your journal. They're both an open comm so you don't have to join to post. The more your list is seen, the greater the chance that someone out there can fulfill your wishes.Step Two
-Surf around your friendslist (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
- If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another fan's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it.
In related news, don't forget, all of you who do crafts, make jewelry, have things to sell, give away or trade, Dusty Corners
is a great place to have them be seen. Post links to your Esty stores if you have them, let us know if you've posted things for sell on EBay or one of the other auction sites. With the holidays coming up people are starting to think about buying presents for friends and family. They can't buy your pretties if they don't know they exist.
Plus, if there's a charity you'd like to help, post those links there, too.
The main thing is, have fun! Make yourself feel better by knowing that we're helping one another. The greatest gift will be that we'll all have a nicer Holiday than we would have had alone. Please, be sure to share this everywhere you can. Let's make the List light up with activity, fun and helping each other this year like we never have before. :)
*hugs*You can also read this entry on Dreamwidth ( comments)